Case study – Scientific problem solving for powder vacuum pump
Industry: Industrial equipment
The client faces damages in use of its powder vacuum pumps and search for a better understanding of powder abrasive phenomena in order to improve pump design.
Combining pump and powders understanding
In this context, our combined knowledges of pumps, powders and behavior techniques were actioned.
Main steps of the study were the following:
- On site visit of the disassembly of a damaged pump
- Analysis of various pump designs and technical-scientific expertise of the possible sources of issues
- R&D study of powders behavior and rheology through characteristic parameters (flowing, compressibility, adhesion, wall friction) with respect to thermal conditions
- Complementary measurement of granulometry and SEM images
- Interpretation and recommendations for the improvement of pump design
Systemic action gauge
Understanding powders physical behavior for optimizing equipments
Thanks to a combined analysis of (1) the physical phenomena occurring in vacuum pump and (2) the objective behavior of powders in conditions representing their use, it is possible to provide concrete recommendations for problem solving through design optimization.
Physical behavior of powders as a key information
Data representing concrete phenomena
Interpretation of influencing factors and causes of problems
Possibility to anticipate end-user powders behavior in laboratory conditions
Last Updated on October 11, 2021 by Vincent Billot